9 Ways Going Meatless Just 1 Day A Week Helps The Environment
Eating meat is your right, but it does come with some environmental consequences. We here at tentree don't take a stance, because everyone is different and you should do research of your own before changing up your diet. That said, the impacts of meat eating are clear and cutting meat out even just one day a week can have a profound environmental impact. How?
These are the fast facts on what would happen if everyone in the United States went vegetarian for just one day a week for an entire year:
- We'd reduce the need for antibiotics by 33 tons.
- We'd reduce the need for land for raising cattle by 3 million acres - about double the size of Delaware.
- We'd conserve 70 million gallons of gas.
- We'd have a surplus of crops, with 1.5 billion pounds of feed for cattle not being needed.
- We'd save 100 billion gallons of water.
What about everyone going meatless for just one day a year? The results are smaller but still impressive:
- We'd reduce our CO2 emissions by 1.2 million tons (about half of what France produces in a day)
- We'd stop 6 tons of ammonia emissions from entering the atmosphere.
- We'd save $70 million in economic damage from soil erosion.
- We'd need to dispose of 4.5 million fewer tons of animal waste.
A meatless day of the week, or even of the year, can have pretty significant impacts on the natural environment. It could even help relieve world hunger and poverty with all of the crops, like grains and corn, not being fed to livestock.
What do you think? Could your family do a meatless day each week?The post 9 Ways Going Meatless Just 1 Day A Week Helps The Environment appeared first on tentree.
ten trees planted for
every item purchased
At tentree, our goal is to become the most environmentally progressive brand on the planet. We don’t want to just reduce the negative impact of the apparel industry, we want to use it as a vehicle for change. Our purpose is to revitalize our environment and inspire a generation to believe that they can do the same.
Our goal is to plant 1 billion trees by 2030.
For early access, exclusive discounts and the chance to plant more trees, sign up for the chance to be a tentree ambassador.