Thinking Outside the Box
We believe that sustainable clothes should come in sustainable packaging. All the materials we use to ship your clothing are made and sourced responsibly — and only used when it's absolutely necessary.
An Industry's Worth of Wasteful Packaging
Around 80 billion items of clothing are made annually, most of which are packed and shipped in single-use or non-recyclable packaging. These items are rarely reused, and often end up in landfills or incinerators. In 2020, over two billion people purchased goods or services online, and online retail sales surpassed 4.2 trillion U.S. dollars worldwide.
Research suggests that 26% off all plastic made is used for packaging. 72% of that is thrown away. Around 3 billion trees are pulped every single year to produce 241 million tons of shipping cartons, cardboard mailers, void-fill wrappers and other paper-based packaging.
The Responsible Packaging Movement
We've joined a packaging revolution with over 100 like-minded brands that aims to eliminate excess packaging waste from supply chains in a responsible, long-lasting way.
We're committed to:
- Eliminating single-use plastics
- Using only FSC certified and mostly 100% recycled paper for individual product packaging like tags, inserts, sleeves and boxes for tags and packaging inserts. See our full Commitment to Protect Forests here.
- Using 100% recyclable shipping mailers that are biodegradable
- Being completely transparent about our packaging choices
Since 2018 we've replaced plastic bags with a method of packaging our items by rolling and tying them with recyclable paper twine. When customers order bulk orders, we use 1 master poly bag that's fully recyclable. Of all our products, 85-90% no longer use individual poly bags.
Our packaging supplier has production facilities located in parts of the world that are strategically close to our key manufacturing areas.
This way, we minimize the transportation necessary to ship products between suppliers and factories. For example, our hangtags for products produced in India are made in India, packaging made in Turkey goes to our Turkish factories... And so on.
Whenever our products are shipped, we offset our shipping emissions by planting trees.
Online Purchase Mailers
Our current mailers are made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic, and are fully recyclable and biodegradable.
By adding a special chemical compound called BDG®, we're able to create plastic packaging that can be metabolized by bacteria, leaving behind nothing but biogas (which can be used as fuel) and compost.
New, Sustainable Materials
- Eliminating Poly Bags - Items that can more easily stain or crease are typically wrapped in a recyclable poly bag. Since these bags are made from plastics — we're currently seeking to replace them. In the future we will use either 100% post-consumer recyclable and biodegradable poly bags, or will use biodegradable paper.
- Carton Liners - Our current liners are made from 100% recycled, post-consumer plastics. But in the future, we'll line our boxes with material that's not only recycled, but fully recyclable and compostable, too.