Oh Christmas tree, you sure do make it feel like the holidays. We know the smell of fresh pine in your living room is hard to resist. So let’s plant some more trees for the ones that have been cut down. Offset your own holiday spirit or give the gift of trees.
What does climate+ mean?
How can we do better?
The impact of trees
What does offsetting mean to tentree?
Where do we plant your trees?
What Does Climate+ Mean?
How Can We Do Better?
- •Turning your thermostat down by 2 degrees.
- •Wearing clothes more than once before washing them.
- •Bike, walk or ride the bus to work!
- •Switch over to LED bulbs and smart appliances.
- •Try buying local, seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- •Use waxed cloth instead of plastic wrap for food.
- •Remember your reusable bags, mugs and cutlery for all outings.
The Impact Of Trees
What Does Offsetting Mean To tentree?
Where Do We Plant Your Trees?
Everytime a tree is cut down it emits 16kg of C02 if brought to the landfill, and 3.5kg if the tree is burnt. The amount of carbon an individual tree emits once it has died is fairly substantial, but another big issue is that the tree is no longer sequestering carbon. The average mature tree sequesters 48 pounds or 0.02 MT of CO2 per year, or about 1MT of CO2 over forty years.
48 pounds / 2205 = 0.02 MT CO2
16kg /1000 = 0.016 MT
This means that a tree is only emitting 0.016MT of CO2, but by not sequestering carbon dioxide, and an additional 0.02MT of CO2 remains in the atmosphere each year.
Link - Emissions if Burnt - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-38129835
Link - Carbon sequestration - http://www.tenmilliontrees.org/trees/